Thursday, August 17, 2017

Bulbophyllum scaberulum (Rolfe) Bolus 1889, the flowers are tiny, intricate gems.




This orchid is an African Bulbophyllym of the section megaclinium.  I brought it some years ago.  It had a few small pseudobulbs and was mounted in cork.  I tied the cork plaque to a wire basket full of bark and allowed the plant to roam free.  I grew it shady with frequent watering and fertilizer.  The flower grew well and spread over the basket but failed to bloom.  This year I noted that the plant had plenty of adult sized pseudobulbs so it should have bloomed some time ago.  My rule of thumb is that if a plant is not blooming the first thing to check it to see if it is getting enough light.  I moved it to a brighter part of the shade house, only a short distance away from where it was growing.  In weeks the inflorescences started appearing.

No comments: