Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Encyclia Summer Stars (Encyclia Orchid Jungle x Encyclia nematocaulon)


I brought this orchid last month in an agricultural festival that took place in the old sugar mill called Coloso in Aguada, Puerto Rico.  I was surprised to see an Encyclia among the Phalaenopsis, Cattleya and Dendrobium that are the standard fare at such activities.  The orchid had several inflorescences and this is one of the first flowers to open.  It was labeled as the clone 'Jungle Nights' but the flowers of my plant are different, smaller and not as well proportioned.  It remains to be seen if this is caused by cultural factors. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ricardo! I think you probably do have the 'Jungle Nights' clone. It looks like it just hadn't fully opened in this picture.

Ricardo said...

I think you are right.