Thursday, May 22, 2014

Eria spicata [D.Don]Hand.-Mazz. 1836, bought for $5 at a Moca garden shop



I visited a garden shop in the town of Moca to see what bromeliads they had.  The owner, after hearing I liked orchids, showed me this plant.  At the time it didn't had any flowers so I was not sold on the idea of buying this plant.  But then he say he would sell it for 5 dollars.  The price was too cheap not to indulge in a bit of speculative buying.  This plant has been easy to culture under the envvironmental conditions of my garden, although it has not bloomed as abundantly as I would have expected given the many pseudobulbs it has produced since I brought it.  Still, this plant has been with me for only a year, maybe in the future it will be more generous with its flowers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that this orchid does better at 2,000 ft. altitude and above. I inherited mine from a friend here in Hilo who was moving back to the mainland. Right now it has two bloom spikes on it, despite the fact that I live at a 700 ft. altitude...

Ricardo said...

From what I see in my friend's gardens and in mine, it grows well at sea level and also at 1,000 feet high in the mountains. The key to good growth seems to be regular watering, neglected plants look weak when compared with those that are given good care.