Saturday, December 13, 2014

Dendrobium Burana Sunshine x Dendrobium discolor


The influence of Dendrobium discolor is unmistakable in this hybrid.  Unlike Den. discolor, this plant blooms in a relatively small plant.  I love the color and the ease of culture of this orchid.  I grow it outside, under saran shade cloth.  The local climate is hot, not warm, and during the dry season the plants experience much drier conditions than normal.  However this plant takes it all in stride and grows well without any special care.  It is in a terracota pot with very clean and hard bark.  It has been my experience that these orchids resent mightly any kind of media that stays soggy for a long time, this usually results in the loss of roots.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ricardo, I have a question on the Anosmum, Ilive here in Southernmost tip of TExas, and I stopped watering the plant since October 31st...how long should I stopped watering the plants?
They still have green leaves on after more than a month of not watering them...

Ricardo said...

I think you are guilty of premature drought. I stop watering my Dendrobium anosmum in December, that means they get two months of drought. Leaves start dropping around the end of December. New growths and flower buds start showing up after February 15. Then I start watering again. I would leave your plant as it is, eventually it will shed its leaves. I have to add that a fully adult anosmum is five feet long or more. Plants that have canes less than three feet long are still juvenile and should not be subjected to a severe rest period.