Wednesday, December 14, 2011

An Oncidium species from the heteranthum group, maybe orthotis


I found this peculiar orchid in a fallen branch by the roadside on the area of Mindo, Ecuador.  In the heteranthum group of Oncidium the inflorescences usually have many aborted flowers, in some species only the flower at the very tip of the inflorescence develops normally.  In the case of this orchid, the plant producing the inflorescence was quite small and the inflorescence had only a single fully developed flower.    I have not seen these plants in cultivation locally.  I have tried to find the identity of this plant but so far have not found a clear match.  The flowers are reminiscent of the flowers of Oncidium orthotis, a member of the heteranthum group.  Unfortunately the illustrations I have seen are not good enough for a definite determination of the identity of this orchid.

3 comments:

Steve Beckendorf said...

I believe this is Oncidium abortivum. It's been reported from the Mindo area and has a callus much like yours and different from orthotis. In addition, I notice a couple of abortive flowers in the second photo.

jay pfahl said...

Hi Ricardo
Jay Pfahl from www.orchidspecies.com. Could I use your photo for the encyclopedia, full credit to you the photographer and a link to your blog. Thnaks in advance

Ricardo said...

Yes you can use my photo.